SiM Mining Consultants was formed in 2001 to serve mainly deep level gold and intermediate level platinum mines operating in hard-rock environments. We focus on objectively advising mines exposed to seismic hazard and risk.
Our area of expertise includes the optimisation of rockburst risk management using all available strategies, from optimal monitoring procedures to incident analysis and training of mine personnel. Mine seismology training for rock engineers and production management generally improves knowledge of the causes of mining induced seismicity.
- Guidelines for calibration blasts (FS)
- Estimate Mmax and probable locations of major seismic failures (FS)
- Mining strategies and rock engineering aspects in remnant mining (VR and FS, for SIM020303)
- Seismic monitoring of crush pillars (gold & PGM mines for SIM040302)
- Review of seismic network and wave velocity calibration (Lowveld)
- Developing training materials for applied mine seismology (10-day course)
- Compilation of a MQA Unit Standard: Seismicity (NQF Level 2)
- Audit of the seismic data collection function on three large mines (WR, VR)
- Seismic hazard quantification for a planned PGM mining operation
- Review of the seismic service process at a large gold mine (WR)